How Americans celebrate Easter with chocolate and candy:

  • Two thirds of American parents will make Easter baskets.
  • More than one half of Americans say that chocolate bunnies/eggs are their favorite Easter treats, while 17% prefer jelly beans.
  • Of all of the candy holidays, Easter generates the most seasonal sales. However, Easter is the second top-selling confectionery holiday overall behind Halloween.
  • 92% of people said they’ll share Easter chocolate or candy in their Easter baskets.
  • More than 50% of Americans say they prefer a chocolate Easter egg filled with cream, chocolate, caramel or other flavors. 33% said they choose solid chocolate eggs, and 17% say their favorite is a hollow chocolate egg.
  • When eating a chocolate Easter bunny, 78% of people start with the ears, and the other 22% are evenly split between feet first and tail first.

More than 85% of Americans will share chocolate and candy this Easter.
Here’s how their favorites stack up:

  • Chocolate Eggs/Bunnies – 47%
  • Jelly Beans – 19%
  • Candy-Coated Eggs – 17%
  • Marshmallow Candy – 12%
  • Other – 5%
Survey Methodology

NCA’s Seasonal Survey was conducted in September 2019 by 210 Analytics, LLC using a self-administered, online questionnaire. The sample of 1,500 individuals mirrors the U.S. population in terms of key demographics, including age, income, ethnicity and region. The margin of error is +2.5%.